Oregon Inlet Lifesaving Station
Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Pea Island, North Carolina

The Oregon Inlet Lifesaving Station was built in 1897 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Coast Guard last used the station in 1988. The structure deteriorated significantly until acquired by the North Carolina Aquariums in 2000. This project includes raising the building 10 feet and placing it on pilings, allowing the sand to blow freely underneath. The exterior was entirely renovated and the tower with widow\'s walk was reconstructed as originally designed.